Why Costa Rica?
Costa Rica is a model country for sustainable development, peace, and social innovation. The country has been a democracy for over 120 years and has abolished its army in 1948. Additionally, adult literacy rate is over 90% and poverty has been reduced by 55% over the last 29 years. Costa Rica was also ranked safest country in Latin America in 2011. Check out this TED talk on eliminating fossil fuel consumption in Costa Rica.
Costa Rica is also the home of the United Nations mandated University of Peace’s Centre for Executive Education, the academic partner for this program. Our on the ground team has extensive experience working with international student groups in Costa Rica.
Top 10 Reasons
1. A peaceful, safe democracy
2. Great for travelling – from rainforest to volcanoes
3. A hub for social enterprise
4. Spanish – very clearly spoken
5. UPEACE– our academic partner
6. Affordable compared to Europe
7. Friendly people and welcoming of foreigners
8. Very good infrastructure: From medical to wifi
9. Ciudad Colon – the perfect town for our base
10. Pura Vida – the happiest country in the world!